rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is a tough read. For a long time (a good 15 years) I gave up road biking entirely and just rode off-road mtb. While mtb has its own risks, at least they are mostly under your own control. Eventually, I did make the decision to go back out on the road, but threads like this always make me think twice. I can see the attraction of gravel biking as an alternative to road more and more with stories like this. So I might just investigate my local gravel riding options for next season, along with more focus back on my mtb. I'm not going to give up road biking again, but I would like to reduce my exposure to the danger of modern road traffic.

Anyway, I hope sharing your thoughts with us helps a little in coming to terms with your loss. 3 strikes is very unfortunate indeed.
I can so relate to Pete. I too gave up road riding for 12 years and strictly mountain biked. The reason was the fear of getting creamed on the road, for all the reasons we all know so well. I loved mountain biking with the challenge, the skill building, the concentration and the self selected level of risk. When I controlled all the variables, life was good. A back injury and becoming more risk averse took me back to the road. Getting back, I realized how much I missed it. It was not technical but descending at speed can be a reward in itself. I am currently riding an endurance bike which is comfortable on non-technical trails as the road. But as I age, I just find the jostling on the trail irritating compared to smooth pavement, so I keep mostly to the road. And this is a rather long way of saying is that I have gone full circle, and accept the risks. I have lived a good life, and a very privileged life compared to the majority of the world. If I die on the road, I can live, and die, with that.

May we all live long healthy lives.

Likes For rsbob: