View Single Post
Old 01-24-22, 03:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
As a driver, I would find that dotted line to the right very confusing as it doesn't conform with how a dotted line is usually employed on U.S. roads. TBH, the more I'm looking at this "solution", the less I'm liking it. The Cambridge example mr_bill was pointing to really exposes the problems with it nicely--people who have to use those roads in their neighborhood hate it because it really isn't clearly telling anyone to do anything differently than they would have already, and the residents preferred sharrows as at least they told everybody where they are supposed to be.
The dotted lines are everywhere on bike lanes when approaching intersections, and everyone generally gets the point. I think ELRs would be a bit like roundabouts; when my city was proposing to put them in, "concerned" citizens were certain they would cause crashes, chaos on the streets, people would die! There was a learning curve, but now everyone negotiates them like they've always been there.

As for sharrows, I'd rather have "bikes may use full lane" signs or paint. Less opportunity to interpret it as "bikes stay out of my way".