biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
Awesome. So you already live there? What route are you planning?

I toured Kyushu back in 2019 and Japan is an amazing place to cycle and tour.
Hi Dave
Yes, I live in Yamaguchi-ken . South Japan. Actually they call it west Japan.
This is my 3 rd attempt to make it to Hokkaido and then come down the Pacific Coast to Shikoku and back to Yamaguchi.
I'm still in the planning stage but I will bike along the China sea side up to Ishikawa. To save time, since I already got that far last year ( had to turn back, covid restrictions) I'll be hopping the trains on and off. It will save me a good 45 days doing it that way. I sight see when I go. This is a journey to see Japan and not only cycling my way around Japan but to enjoy the lifestyles and culture of different sections of Japan.
I think that is cool that you cycled Kyushu . Hope it wasn't in the summer . LOL Last year I got to Okinawa in August and , really it was too hot to even go camping. So I caved in and booked a hotel. Only 36 bucks a night with buffet breakfast. I do want to get back there and see Miyakoshima. An island off Okinawa.
Stay in touch on this thread as I'll update and maybe you'll see my progress, hopefully all positive side.
Japan still is not allowing tourist in so I won't be seeing hardly any foreigners cycling up north. Cycling here as a foreigner as you have found out is that the locals are please to chat and help you out.
Take care.
Here's a picture of my bike. ( if I can find one )

This is my bike loaded to travel all Japan, but this year I bought a lighter tent so hopefully the load will be lessen.

My coffee cup. Only cost 100 yen.