View Single Post
Old 07-07-22, 06:52 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I never gave much thought to the barriers placed on MUPs to prevent cars, 4-wheelers, etc, other than to avoid them. I only (before yesterday) knew 2 who’d hit them, both were OK and very much aware of them. My groups call them out constantly as part of the routine, etiquette, etc.

Yesterday, my huge group of three did our 57 and beat the rain. One of my other groups got caught in the rain, affecting their vision, requiring their concentration, and so the callout priority suffered. Up ahead was barrier. As such, the leader didn’t call it, #2 narrowly missed it, and #3 caught just the pedal.

That pedal strike broke the 2022 Emonda in half, instant folder. No broken bones. Helmet cracked. Of course, the #4 was up and over, and as often occurs, more injured, but released under concussion protocol, contusions, lacerations. Helmet destroyed.

The combination of low visibility, lack of callout, and the accordion at choke points was injurious.

(The sad irony is that part of this group was mowed down from behind 6 weeks ago at a stoplight, with one still out from having her hip snapped off in the socket. Her partner had the pedal strike, so they are down $15,000 in bikes and $100,000+ in meds in 6 weeks. This is one reason for more path riding.)

I somehow think the injury to #3 may have been worse on steel, without the frame snap, but I don’t know. Maybe that’s the only C&V angle.

So, your experiences with paths, barriers, etc?

And what are your thoughts on hitting a barrier with just a pedal on a steel bike?
A few years ago I caught a pedal at speed on a speed bump( I was hitting it at an angle, for the speed factor). I went down in whiplash mode--my hips first and my head last. It broke my helmet in two places. I got up and rode home. This was in a tiny Mexican village. A local guy who saw it all happen was amazed I got up. I guess he didn't know about helmets.