Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I've always read and been told that gasoline in the SVEA123 was a no no. I have heard that folks did it, but thought is was an "at your own risk, only in an emefgency" kind of thing. Did you routinely burn pump gas in your 123 with no issues? I am not sure whar was supposed to happed. Flare up into a fireball? Just soot up? Ruin the wick? Clog the jet? More than one of the previous items?

I love my SVEA, but I have never burned gasoline in it. I'd never fly with it for fear that they'd confiscate it. I have a sentimental attachment so, if I fly I take the whisperlite, a canister stove, or an alcohol pop can stove.
Quite right. I once filled my Svea with water and they still took it away. Kept if for me until I returned to the same airport, so I did get it back.

I used pump gas in my Svea for a couple years when I was in Europe. Worked fine, with a caveat. I think it's possible that burning pump gas can overheat the stove and cause the pressure relief valve to function properly, meaning a jet of flame erupts from same. Quite impressive. Not turning the stove all the way up is the trick - that only happened once, in Turkey. I threw water on the stove, cooled it right down. That was the only issue. A few years ago, I polished it up and it now sits on a display shelf along with other revered items. A friend keeps a fresh flower in hers.

I have a Sigg Tourist cook kit - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...t&_sacat=16034 - which I bought at Sporthaus Schuster in 1967. My wife and I use it to make home-cooked level meals when backpacking or touring. While built for the Svea, it works fine with our Optimus. We're in no great hurry. We even wrote a cookbook based on its use.