View Single Post
Old 09-29-22, 03:53 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
I think the Peloton specifically may be a little different to most indoor trainers. If you are doing the Peloton classes, then they're generally all an hour or less, and involve a good bit of out of the saddle riding. I found padded shorts to be much less necessary for this use case than when training on a regular indoor trainer or smart bike with longer durations and less out of the saddle time in general. It's the extended time in the saddle without a mostly fixed position that can make a chamois pad helpful for comfort. There's certainly no reason you can't use padded shorts for the Peloton but in my experience it's not all that necessary for doing the classes.
Agree with you about the class length, but most Peloton classes are in the saddle almost the entire time. As such, I wear regular bike shorts for anything over 20 minutes. Compare that with SoulCycle, which have considerably more out of the saddle time. When I used to do SoulCycle, I'd wear regular workout shorts for hour-long classes with no problem. With the Peloton, I find I need the padding.
Likes For mattcalifornia: