View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 11:41 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by JISO
Thanks for the Shimano 600 suggestion, is that the narrowest cassette available? Ie, with the lowest dish?

It's not just the number of gears though, it's the gear spacing. As pointed out, it's not obvious that I will be able to accomplish two cogs on same side with standard parts but I see a few theoretical benefits to this setup that I'd like to test out:

- Half the pulley drag, especially with road debris on
- Better chain angle
- Stronger rear wheel
- Simpler/lighter overall transmission
If you want simpler, do a 1x setup rather than what you propose. It just doesn't seem simpler to have to manually change the rear. None of the points you have listed are any real issue. I tour on a 3x9 setup. I have 36 spoke wheels, and have carried a lot of weight with no issue. The wheels are going strong after 11 years. Chain angle is a non-issue. You want lighter weight for the drivetrain on a bike that is going to be used to carry a lot more weight. That doesn't even begin to make sense. The amount of weight you will save by ditching the rear derailleur and cassette, is minuscule compared to the overall weight of you and the bike, plus any load you will be carrying.
Likes For phughes: