View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 06:51 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
That fits with what I learned; there's no commerce to speak of on Maybrook, and even at the tiny "park" as you cross a road (near the summit at Holmes) there's no shade nor water (nor village) evident. Hopewell Jcn has stores and restaurants if you leave the trail, but no fountain at trailhead itself (even though there are bathrooms in the old signalbox, they havent any sinks - maybe they use 'grey water' for the plumbing?). Arriving at the Poughkeepsie side of the Walkway was the first "easy" water source I found north of Brewster.

Originally Posted by UniChris
​​​​​​I was worried trail construction would cut the trees back by a decade or so, sounds like it did. Recently got to eyeball some abandoned rail just into the woods from the road here in MA that's finally slated for conversion to shorten a gap and sadly expect similar will result.

So it sounds like Brewster is a stop to ride out of with three bottles. Is there any commerce along the Maybrook? I forget if Hopewell has fountains, I know I found indoor plumbing there a few times but little worse than counting on something and finding it closed.

My recollection is that on the Duchess beyween Hopewell and Poughkeepsie only time you see businesses you are elevated high above major arterials and it's not very clear how to get down.
Now that I think about it, I once found the fountains at the east end of the walkway closed and those at the west open. And once further west the human fountain off but the doggie spigot on.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​

​​​​​