Old 06-23-21, 09:03 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If a person wants to get a GPS, they should get a good one. That starts around a Garmin 830 or similar units from other manufacturers, IMHO. Unless you know better what you want, go ahead and get a unit with visible maps, navigation, and connnectivity and smarts for whatever sensors you might want now or in the future (HRM, power meter, etc.). Buying less is like buying a cheap guitar or a cheap bike; if you think you really might like it, the price of the first one is wasted, and it's more likely to make you not want to play, ride, or navigate because the experience of the cheap thing is so bad.
Yeah, my first GPS-unit was a budget Lezyne computer (no navigation features) and it was not good. I have heard, anecdotally, that Lezyne has really improved their game and that their current generation of computers is legit, but I'll never know because my experience soured me so much on them that I'll never buy another one.

I'm not going to turn this into Wahoo vs. Garmin but I'll just say I've been absolutely satisfied with my Wahoo. It just works and has all the connectivity and customizable data fields I could ever want. It even plays well with my Garmin Varia, which is nice.

The map is pretty minimalist though. I guess I don't rely super heavily on the map -- I just kind of use it to have a general idea of where I'm going, but for more detailed nav then yes, you'd probably want one of the bigger Garmins or the Element Roam.