View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 09:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
​​​​​​I was worried trail construction would cut the trees back by a decade or so, sounds like it did. Recently got to eyeball some abandoned rail just into the woods from the road here in MA that's finally slated for conversion to shorten a gap and sadly expect similar will result.

So it sounds like Brewster is a stop to ride out of with three bottles. Is there any commerce along the Maybrook? I forget if Hopewell has fountains, I know I found indoor plumbing there a few times but little worse than counting on something and finding it closed.

My recollection is that on the Duchess beyween Hopewell and Poughkeepsie only time you see businesses you are elevated high above major arterials and it's not very clear how to get down.
Now that I think about it, I once found the fountains at the east end of the walkway closed and those at the west open. And once further west the human fountain off but the doggie spigot on.
​​​​​

​​​​​
I spent no time off trail exploring what resources are avialable for food or liquids. Google maps shows a deli in Poughquag, up Rt 55 and looks like maybe a mile of detour off the trail. Pizza place in Beekman, another deli down Rt 52 on the west side of the Taconic Parkway, all of these a a short ride off one of the many road crossings on the trail.

While the trail goes thru mostly woods, there are a lot of road crossings that get you to more primary roads that lead to stores, etc..., its not the vast North Maine Woods here.