View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 06:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Yeah I find most people can't give good directions to save their life.

I don't know if it was because I was in an artillery unit, where accurate map reading was *kinda* important, or if it's just because I've always had thing for maps, but I'd rather have someone give me the address so I can look it up and figure out the best route. Old people give needlessly complicated and inaccurate directions like "turn left at the red barn and then it'll be the third white house past old Lady Johnson's cow--but the cow died in 1999" and young people don't understand things like "north" and "east" and "go three miles."

Back to the thread though -- I was a little stubborn about using maps and cue sheets for a long time, my reasoning being that cue sheets don't run out of batteries. But in practice there's a lot of things that can wrong, admittedly mostly because of human error. Maybe I'm zoned out and I missed a road sign. Maybe the name of the road sign is one thing on the cue sheet but we're actually in a different county and they named it something different. Maybe the county hasn't maintained the signs and it's missing. Maybe I misread the cue sheet and I'm looking for the next cue. Maybe I screwed up the mileage somehow and now I'm off. I mean, I can get back on track but it's an avoidable hassle.

A few years ago I bought a GPS computer with navigation (wahoo bolt) mainly to more accurately log my mileage and keep track of heart rate, but because it came with navigation I might as well give it a shot. After using it in a long gravel race I was an instant convert, you really can't beat the ease and convenience. I'll still carry maps and cue sheets as a backup but it's a definite quality of life upgrade.
Just wanted to say how much of a chuckle that gave me. Holy geez it's true.
From early on decades ago, I learned early on from getting burnt asking locals for directions, to ask one person, judge their body language etc ie not sure, clueless looking etc, then ask another person and compare. If same answer, probably a good sign. If not, ask a third.
My early trips also included this being in French, not my mother tongue, so an added factor too, people talking fast, weird accent I wasn't used to, France vs Quebec accent.
Likes For djb: