View Single Post
Old 07-06-21, 10:26 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Across CT on which road?
As mentioned several times, the coastal route (apart from the NYC area) is already on my list of near-term ideas.
Did you have something else in mind, for example that would reach Danbury, since you mentioned that, and since it's just six miles from NY's east-of-hudson trails?​​​​​
I've taken several trips across part of CT but not in the last 20 years or so, preferring to go further away from the megalopolis if I've got the time. Coming from Long Island, we would ride 35ish miles to the Port Jefferson-Bridgeport ferry and go to New London from Bridgeport. Only once did we hug the coast and we never did it again; very urban with urban traffic especially in New Haven; which was not what we were looking for. We would ride west toward Fairfield, then north; Black Rock Tpke was one of the roads but my memory is not more specific. We would gradually turn to the east on back roads that were hilly but generally pleasant and low traffic. I do remember crossing the Housatonic north of Shelton. On one ride we were as far north as Waterbury and Cromwell where we spent the night a couple of times. I also remember crossing the Connecticut River on the ferry at Chester. We would come back to the coast and take the New London ferry back to Orient on Long Island and ride home from there. I wish I could be more specific; as you noted east-west routes are not so numerous. I have to say the thought of doing any of this on a unicycle is damned impressive.

I'd check out routes that have been uploaded by other riders on RideWithGPS.