View Single Post
Old 12-25-20, 03:44 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I first purchased a H1 and played with the tilt several times before getting it right. Since the saddle is designed to cradle you, the nose will be tilted up. I simply laid a level across the saddle from the nose to the rear. Got it completely level and it's been perfect ever since.

After purchasing another bike last year, I purchased a X2 saddle because I am less than 190 lbs. Not sure if it's because I haven't ridden it enough to break it in any, but it doesn't seem to be quite as comfortable as the N1 yet. So, I'm going to put that one on my Roam hybrid, and have ordered a H2 with a carbon rail for my road bike.

But, the nose will be tilted up even if the saddle is perfectly level. For me, I've always like the nose up on all saddles and it doesn't seem excessive to me at all.
The N1 and the X1 are made for the same weight of rider, but the N1 is not as soft due to the fact the leather top is solid with no cutting-out. The X2 and N2 are made for the next heavier weight class according to S-A. I have an X1, N1 and a pair of H2. The H2 are a little stiffer, but it feels like they have a better shape. The X2 is stiffer than the X1 because the light-brown leather laminate on the bottom is thicker on the X2 than on the X1 and it covers the entire bottom.

I went for the C rails, as well on my H2s. The reason is that a long-setback (highly slammed) position is often what I need. The early and X-series saddles with steel rails have very long rails that extended quite far forward. The H series frame comes standard with Ti rails which are about 3 cm shorter at the front. That cutoff messes up my seating position. The carbon rail designed to lighten the saddle also has the same rail length as the original steel frames. An expensive fix for a problem that I don't think is necessary, but that's the way it is.