View Single Post
Old 04-11-22, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have eased over onto a sidewalk to let traffic vent. I don't like the subject sidewalk at all, for a number of reasons. I don't have any obligation to take the sides street that I take to avoid riding on the road our subject rider was on. It's a bit less convenient to take the side streets, but the side streets are safer, and it's much better for overall traffic flow.

I don't vent, I ride FRAP, interpreting practicable to mean not so far right to be in driver's blind spot, and if they have to wait some number of seconds before they can pass safely, so be it. I'm not going out of my way to be a PITA, but I'm going to exercise all of my rights on a road. I do see filtering up as being a good method for avoiding blind spots, so I will ignore laws that discourage it. Whether drivers understand it or not, I've found it actually facilitates a safe pass as the drivers can see exactly where I am.

Y'know, as a driver, I'm sure I've spent more time waiting for someone to turn their car into the Dunkin Donuts drive through than I have for cyclists.