Old 07-08-22, 09:30 AM
ark40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Need some help training for my first century

Dalla TX (Plano to be specific) native here. Have been cycling for decades but never did a century. For the last few years, I have been associated with a loosely formed cycling club which has been progressively getting faster and almost everyone has done a century, I'm one of a few who still haven't attempted one, hence the push to ride a century this year. Last year I missed out on one due to an injury just before the ride, and had to abandon the second opportunity to give company to a friend on the 72 mile option. I have been relatively off since January and just got into serious training in early June. Here is what I am doing these days, tentative race days for the century, and other key facts that might help subject matter experts gauge my status. I need some guidance on what I can do to achieve my goal, I am obviously not doing well which is why I seek help
1. 56 yrs old
2. Typical training week is; 40-60 mile ride on Sat, 20ish miles on Mon and Wed to get between 80-100 miles per week. I will add 5 miles every Sat to build up to the race day in late Aug
3. Slightly below average rider. On a 20 mile loop I frequently ride (about 500 ft climb/elevation gain total), I average about 13.5-14 mph. Last year around mid to late July I was doing this loop at roughly 14.5/15 mph regularly. So I have lost close to 1 mph since last year
4. I am able to handle a 50 miler, 60 is probably the max I can handle.
5. The first century is coming up on 27th Aug, some of you may have heard of Hotter Than Hell 100. The name says it all. It's relatively flat ride but wind in Texas is ever present.
6. The second century is in Little Rock AR, that ride is slightly hilly and over 100 miles you can end up with a total of 2000+ ft of climbing.

I have about 7 weekend from now till HHH-100 on Aug 27th. If I add 5 miles each week from now until HHH my last ride on Aug 20th will be around 85 miles. I plan to take the rest of the week off to recover and be ready for the ride day.

What am I doing right, what am I doing wrong, what needs to change etc. Any help/advice is appreciated.