Old 11-03-22, 11:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
USB rechargeables. They run brighter, longer, and are far more economical over time.

Prices have skyrocketed on good quality alkaline and NiMH D, AA, and AAA batteries. I have a few devices that still use them, but I doubt I'll buy any more. Batteries from the dollar stores are usually a bad value because they're inferior quality and don't last long. Over time you'll spend as much as you would buying a good USB rechargeable light to begin with. Pretty much the only devices I still use fairly often that take AA and D batteries are my old shortwave portable radios, and a couple of them have always been pretty thrifty to run for many hours per set of batteries.

I've had good luck with Nite Riders headlights, and if I'm recalling correctly those can be disassembled to replace the batteries. Light & Motion headlights have been pretty good while they last, but the batteries are good for only a year or two before the runtime per charge declines and the barrels are not made to be disassembled. The only reason I'll keep my L&M Rando 500 awhile is because it can be charged and run simultaneously from an external USB battery via their proprietary cord -- albeit only on low or pulsing.

Cygolite Hotshot and Hotrod taillights seem to last a long time. Ditto the Blackburn 2'Fer, one of the first all purpose lights I bought back in 2015 or 2016 when I resumed cycling after a long hiatus. I've used that 2'Fer, mostly on my helmet, on almost every ride for years. It still lasts pretty much the same runtime per charge. If other Blackburn lights are as reliable, I'd consider them as well.

If I was serious about bicycle commuting I'd get some kind of dyno setup for head, tail and side lights. But even those glow-winky wheel lights that enhance visibility can be run pretty economically from batteries. Those wheel lights don't need to be bright because the motion enhances visibility.