View Single Post
Old 01-17-23, 08:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
I run both TPU and tubeless, and have been running road tubeless continuously since ‘14, 23mm and 25mm rubber. It’s the best…if the tire/wheel combo match up well and make installation/removal easy.

I don’t run wheel liners, nor do I see a prevailing need, preferring instead to plug or install a tube should the need arise, which it rarely does. Most punctures seal almost immediately and without stopping or need to top up pressure. Rarely, a tire will need to be rotated to place the puncture on the road so the sealant can do its job, and/or pressure needs added.

TPU tubes are very good as well, like 90% of the ride quality of tubeless, and 50% of the flat protection. That is, TPU— well, I’m referring to Schwalbe Aerothan— are quite puncture resistant in the first place, but also tend to resist catastrophic air loss since the material is highly tear resistant. It’s puncture-able, but won’t pop. Therefore, even puncturing on a fast descent most likely won’t result in sudden air loss. Also, Aerothan TPU tubes permanently patch with self-adhesive patches; I use Lezyne.

Of my fleet, I maintain 4 road tubeless bikes (23 and 25c) and one TPU gravel bike with 700x35c rubber. I’d have run the gravel bike tubed, and indeed tried, but the Rene Herse extralight casing tires would not reliably seal, not with the recommended Panaracer Sealsmart sealant, so I got frustrated and abandonded the effort…without regret, because the Herse Bon Jons ride very nearly as nicely with TPU as they did tubeless.