Old 02-21-20, 07:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds very familiar. I resumed cycling in 2015 after 30+ years away from any real physical activity other than working and walking. Then my neck and back were broken in 2001 when a full size SUV t-boned my compact car. I needed a cane to walk until 2014. In 2015 I was 57 and decided to try riding again, starting with a big ol' springy cushioned comfort hybrid.

Took forever to get back into shape.
  • 2015: I averaged 8 mph.
  • 2016: That summer I switched to a rigid frame/fork hybrid, and averaged 12 mph.
  • 2017: Again, that summer, I switched to an old school steel road bike and averaged 14 mph.
  • 2018: Same road bike, 15 mph average. Hit by a car while I was riding my bike that spring, set me back for a year.
  • 2019: Averaged 16 mph. This was mostly the same 20-40 mile workout route, including two or more large loops of 6-20 miles, on roller coaster terrain.
  • 2020: Occasionally averaging 17+ mph, but closer to 16 more often.

Occasionally I'll average 20 mph for 5-10 miles, but can't sustain it.

Takes a huge effort to get any faster. I'm not really any stronger, just a bit more flexible after a lot of physical therapy, so I can stay tucked and aero longer.

Now at 62 I'm in much better shape but realize this is about as good as it'll get. I'll never average 20+ mph for a 20-50 mile ride again, unless I resort to PEDs (and I would if I could afford it). The window of opportunity for improving is rapidly closing. I figure by age 65 I'll only get slower, regardless of effort.

And before my bout with thyroid cancer in 2018 (resolved with surgery, no chemo), I usually felt energized after a brisk bike ride. Now I'm drained and often need a nap afterward. A late day bike ride or trainer session used to wake me up like coffee. Now it puts me to sleep.

I got a Tickr last year to add some data to the speed and cadence monitors. Helps a bit. When I did the Wahoo recommended test last summer my maximum heart rate was 173. Probably lower now.

My heart rate pegs near redline almost immediately now, but stabilizes after a 30 minute warmup. Sometimes I'll warm up on the indoor trainer first. But it takes a couple of big efforts to peg my heart rate, then soft pedal for a few minutes, to get my heart rate to settle down. Sorta the physical equivalent to making a milkshake. Gotta really shake up that body for a few minutes, otherwise it's just lumpy ice cream, cold and stiff, not a smooth and creamy milkshake.

HIIT sessions on the trainer helped. I keep 'em to around 30 minutes, with generous warmups and cooldowns. I do only one a week at most. Takes longer to recover from high intensity intervals now. But it does seem to teach the body to recover more quickly from those moderate hill climbs that cause my heart rate to jump to 160+ immediately.

Different approach and expectations now. I'm still aiming for averaging 20 mph on my usual 20-40 mile workout route, but realistically... probably ain't gonna happen. But I've managed 17+ mph a few times so I'll keep trying to nudge it upward a bit.
Likes For canklecat: