Old 01-20-21, 02:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
This is my favorite. I'll try to be #3 in the paceline behind the guy who's seeing how long he can stay in front. When he starts to fade, either on the climb or shortly before, that's when I like to attack. If I'm not first at the top, at least I'm in the bunch when we regroup.

Also, if you've got a bar bell, be sure to ring it as you fly by.
I've only gotten this to work once and at the time I used to live along the last 10 miles of the course which I took several times a week. I knew the final hill and used to consider anything less then 18mph up it slow. So when the race hit there I knew every detail of the course to the finish line which was only 2 miles left and set myself up to be nearly sharing the lead at that spot. Saying "see you at the finish line" was great, having the hill mentally beat and the energy to crush it at nearly 23mph was great. Missing first by virtually nothing sucked but still kept second. Never pulled off the same on any other course, heavy riders just have too many negatives. My usual tactic is stay in the middle of the pack, don't over extend on the up but also try not to lose the last rider, power the downhill and recoup till the middle of the line shows back up and I can slip back in without a pull. People seeing you come from the front usually think you've had a pull and most don't notice you're really just seesawing back and forth. I only pull on extended flats. Knowing the course really helps, if you know its a climb at the end you can just be screwed but being big people might let you get an early jump to get there first thinking you'll fade on the hill, just a question of how much energy you've saved and how much quicker you get there. Downhill and flat before the finish do your best to get to the top as quick as possible and power down the hill hard and don't let up.
Likes For Russ Roth: