Old 06-03-21, 05:47 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
5-10 lbs dropped in only 2 hours riding at your weight? Maybe you aren't properly hydrating. You can ride along on very little power on flats, but as you're experiencing, climbing is a true test of wattage where dehydration could drastically impair your performance.

46x30 lowest gear isn't doing you any favors climbing either. If you have to grind up at a low cadence then you won't even be utilizing your cardio.
I drink a ton of water, have both my water bottles filled and usually refill them where I can at fountains or buying more water at gas stations. I just feel like I sweat a lot on rides.

I'm currently using my gravel bike, but I do have a 2nd set of wheels with slicks. Saying that, the first time I got dropped was next to a young kid also on a (steel) gravel bike. I was able to keep up until we hit a steep section and his fitness was just that much better than mine. The second time I got dropped was this week next to a roadie who seemed like an average/above average rider. I had a hard time matching his pace and even though he was in his low gear I had a hard time finding a gear to match his. Again, I'm guessing his fitness was also better, but I do think his gearing might have been better suited for this particular segment.

I also ride this same bike on uphill dirt trails with my knobby wheelset and I can usually keep up or pass many MTB'ers. I don't see myself getting another bike anytime soon, so I would like to improve with what I have for now.

Last edited by jonathanf2; 06-03-21 at 05:50 PM.