View Single Post
Old 05-27-22, 12:57 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Conversion to 1x came very cheap to me. The only part I replaced is the cassette and did all the work myself. I reused the small ring and simply bolted it to the outside of the crank where the big ring used to be. The original medium cage RD worked without problem with the new 40t cassette.

Simplicity was the main reason I did this but found 1x also reduced wear on the drivetrain, Looks-wise, the chain looks like new all the time. It's safer if you use brifters because you leave one hand dedicated entirely for braking, especially, the front brake so you can brake and shift at the same time without issues.

The only problem I ever had with 1x was the chain sometimes coming off the chain ring when hitting washboarded surfaces. It never happens with 2x because of the FD working as a chain catcher as well. But no problems whatsoever on smooth road surfaces and the occassional pothole. For 1x you'll probably need a clutched RD if you ride on gravel or bumpy roads to prevent the chain coming off the chain ring.