Old 02-24-21, 06:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I took the day off (PTO) to get 6 hours of pedaling practice, because practice makes perfect.

Yesterday I asked the boss if I could start late so I could do the Tuesday morning Fiesta Island ride, easily my favorite group ride in San Diego. We do 6 long laps (~1 hour) with a steady rotating paceline, however it gets blown to bits a couple times each lap when a local coach and veteran racer (Arnie) gases it to 30+ MPH for a while on an ebike. It's an awesome workout and just whittles down a bit each time. There is always a "b" group that forms behind who just get smooth rotations in.

When I'm riding really well, I like to attack the pacelines and go off on my own, which hurts because Arnie will end up passing me with speed so I'll have to sprint to get back on when I'm already in the red. Killer workout. It also feels really good to not have to slow down very much after his e-bike attacks while people are dying/hurting. Like when I'm fit, I don't need to slow down much and I hate, hate, hate losing speed and momentum. Must be all the TTT work. I'll just roll through to the front and put in a little dig, or at the very least, go through smoothly z4/5 while people are coasting and stay out front long enough for the riders to catch my wheel and rest for a moment or two, before moving other and initiating a new rotation. That is until Arnie attacks again.... Love this ride.

I haven't hammered like that in a while so my legs were a bit sore today at anything mildly anaerobic. Hours 4-5 were a bit uncomfortable TBH, but it passed. Even then, I just had to back off like the slightest bit and my cardio system was there and it was ready to give, give, give. Feels good to be fit.