View Single Post
Old 09-20-21, 12:47 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
If you are using cheaper foldable tires it helps if you unfold them and keep them somewhere warm for a while so that they have a chance to unkink a bit.

When fitting, they might be difficult to centre and may even pop off then or during your first ride. To avoid that, fit the tires and tubes with a little air in the tubes so that they just take a round shape. Centre the tire on both sides as best you can. Give a couple of pumps using your pump, then check the tire is still centred and centre it if it is not. A couple or more pumps and recheck - and so on until the tire is up to pressure. I then fit the wheel and give the bike a gentle ride around my garages, and recheck that the tire is still centred.

It takes a bit of time and effort, but that is the price one pays for cheap tires. Once they have been ridden for a bit, they take their original tire cross section and should cause no further problems.
Lol - that "pop off while riding" thing that I've never experienced with these other tires including the ones that came with the bike is definitely something I want to avoid.

I thought I'd be able to just pop on a "for now" tire while waiting for others - as in buy, put it on, ride. No interest in going down a rabbit hole of dysfunctionality. But it's been a learning experience.
Likes For MyRedTrek: