Old 12-13-21, 08:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmcd
I am interested in whether the Sebring station really allows the loading and unloading of bicycles. I have taken 3 trips with my bicycle on Amtrak and I haven't completely figured out which stations allow bicycles off and on the train but I assumed that a station needed to have checked baggage service which according to the website Sebring does not.
https://www.amtrak.com/stations/sbg

Here I am in June at the top of the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Nat'l Park. I took Amtrak to Whitefish Mt. and camped at the park and road on Sunday when the road was still under pre-season repair and closed to cars.

Checked baggage service is not always needed. Depends on the service and the station. I used the Vermonter carry on service back in September to go from Philly to St. Albans, VT for the start of a tour. It was my third time taking a bike on the Vermonter. Last year I used the Pennsylvanian train-side checked service to go from Philly to Pittsburgh for the start of a tour.

Bring Your Bike Onboard the Train | Amtrak

If the service says select stations only, the easiest way to determine whether you can take a bike on and off between two points when there is train-side checked and carry on service is to go through the process of booking a fake trip. out into the future. If he website allows you to add a bike then you know you can get off and on with a bike between both points.

I have ridden up to Logan Pass four times. Have always started from Sprague Creek Campground near the lodge. The last time (2017), the road was still closed to cars when I started out around 5:45 a.m. I was told the day before that it was highly unlikely that it would open to cars all the way the next day. Got to the closure point at Avalanche Campground, went around the gate and took my time climbing. Just before I got to the Loop I heard a vehicle behind me. Two rangers pulled up in a truck and told me the road had just opened all the way and hat I had to summit by 11 a.m. Disappointing, but I still enjoyed the ride. Unfortunately, the trails at the top were still covered in snow so no hiking was possible.
Likes For indyfabz: