View Single Post
Old 02-10-22, 11:45 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Wow, incisive counter-argument. Next time, maybe think before you post. It's very obvious that the city has been welding strips on these things precisely because the hazard is very hard to spot while riding--you really can't take your eyes off the actual roadbed to make sure you don't flop into it. These kind of grates parallel to the road direction were common when I was a kid. I haven't seen one in many decades. Why could that be, I wonder?.
That would be because highway codes changed. In large part because of extensive lobbying by the old League of American Wheelmen. So far as I know all that happens if a local jurisdiction fails to comply is they can lose federal and/or state funding. Because everyone uses state and federal funding most eventually comply. Is compliance perfect? No. If you have a good lawyer non-compliance will help make your case. I said help, it does not make a case all by itself.

I’ll cite an old case I know. A good friend fell through a bridge grate. Not his wheel, all of him. City of Chicago had removed a section of steel bridge grate for repairs. Left a couple of simple barricades in position and traffic knocked them into the river. So it is winter near dawn and my friend didn’t spot the hole. Fell forty feet and landed on his face on a bridge piling. Police boat picked him up, he was lucky the nearest hospital did have a very good plastic surgeon present who rebuilt his face from his driver’s license. Of course his face was never the same.

Thirty years later the City finally agreed to cover his medical costs and the cost of the bicycle. Took lots of good lawyering to get that much.

Looking at the cats needing herding on this thread it is truly amazing the League ever advanced from square one.

Watch where you are going.