Old 07-07-22, 07:44 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Laying up carbon is very hands-on and needs to be done correctly, with many many pieces. There are many frames that do look blobular, but plenty of frames along the way, including many new ones, that have plenty of crisp edges and overall forms that would be beyond impractical to achieve in steel or aluminum (hydroforming would get one close). I think there is plenty of carbon that is very artistic/aesthetically pleasing, just as there is plenty of it that isn't. Low-end lugged bikes aren't particularly artful, but yeah, if we're going top lugged steel vs top carbon, the steel frame's craftmanship is readily apparent. It also helps that its default component color is polished/anodized silver, thus providing the critical Pretty Shiny Things visual element to the bike. Details details details.

The modern stuff is fun and works really well, but like @52telecaster said, I can afford vintage, even (very) nice vintage and vintage componentry, of which I am very thankful. For all the reasons that we know, prices on mid to upper level stuff continues to walk northward, and that simply makes things less appealing. And aside from more affordability, I just have the fact that I got started with a 1985 bike and the standards present at that time allow one to build and upgrade as a novice or expert. Accessibility is appreciated. I like the silver bits, I like the detail and scale of things. I like steel's friendliness to clunks and framesetting and repair. And in combination with the roads around here, my height, my "planned" level of fitness and speed; I know my pace, am happy enough with it, and guess what? I go as fast as I ever would on a nicely updated vintage steel touring bike with nice larger tires and a long wheelbase. My bike doesn't look awkward (because horizontal top tube), I'm not getting jackhammered around on race frames with small tires on these streets, and also perhaps I don't look 'threatening' to cars or pedestrians because who in 2022 is fast on an old looking bike???

I ride vintage 'cause it's pretty. And I'm a big fan of pretty.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: