View Single Post
Old 09-21-22, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This is one of those debates where everyone is trying to play devil's advocate and no one is really ...

Forget it. This one can die like the "help up the hills" thread .....

I am sure that all the folks who have ever thrown stuff at me out of passing or oncoming cars were super-nice folks who just happened to forget there were littering laws just as they passed me .... I should praise them for wanting to keep their cars clean .... right?

BF, you rarely surprise and often disappoint.
I don't see how I am trying to play devil's advocate here, so I don't get your first line, but the rest of your post is a really good example of why I'm so annoyed that the reaction of a bunch of people on bf to a poster explaining how he was attacked/threatened on the road is to tell him he's likely mistaken. I regularly see drivers do really aggressive things as a driver, cyclist and a pedestrian. Why are people so invested in claiming that's unusual?
I think there's two things going on here. Some people just seem to assume that criminally aggressive driving is rare which is clearly contrary to the experience of many of us on the forums. Others are so invested in their beliefs that cell phone and other distractors are the root of all evil that they need to rewrite every anecdote to fit this preconception.

Here's the sad reality--if a driver is actively trying to hurt you, your self-defense options are rather limited if they exist at all. That's what we should be talking about, not trying to psychoanalyze rsbob .
Likes For livedarklions: