View Single Post
Old 09-21-22, 01:20 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The problem with a fast strobe on the road (and I know you didn't say anything about the flash rate) is that it can make it difficult for the oncoming driver to judge your speed and position (this isn't the case with emergency vehicles, btw, because their vehicles counteract that with multiple light sources).
For that reason, at night, I say it is important to have a steady light always visible. Flashing extra lights are optional.

On a bus, on foot, on a bike, if I see a bike with a flasher abd nothing else, it will seem to dart and teleport like a firefly. The human eye or mind will "stabilize" a flash in one place, without a blur, even if that half-second flash of light were moving at 15 km/hr. It makes it very hard to predict trajectory and speed.

In the daytime, none of this matters beyond covering your ass legally so that a motorist's lawyer cannot blame the victim (i e., the cyclist) for not having the equivalent of DRL on the bike on a sunny day. Flashing and steady white headlights even at 500 lumens will be totally outshone by the sun on a typical day.

Mimicking emergency vehicles with strobing blue and red in the day will not prevent a collision and only open you to victim blaming in court at worst, or a cop citing you for illegal lighting.