Old 09-25-22, 10:44 PM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
They look like they might be mounts for Jeay brakes. These were cam-actuated and came with m6 stud/bolts. The thing that doesn't make sense for Jeay brakes is that your mounts have holes for the springs, and Jeay brakes didn't use that kind of spring. But could be something like this. There were lots of little French brands of brakes that used m6 stud-bolts instead of studs on the frame.

If you reckon they might work, they are still cheap enough on ebay, not being associated with the dread RH.
Wow, thanks! Those things looks ancient! I'd be surprised to find them in anything more recent than the 50's, and if the Spidel bb is original, my frame would date to the 70's-80's.

Accroding to the VeloBase article on Jeay brakes,

"The studs are specific to this type of brake, positioned higher on the fork and seat stays than cantilever studs, and lower than centerpull brakes, making a bike compatible with only this type of brake."

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...=117&AbsPos=73

IF that would be the case, I wonder if switching wheel sizes could allow a more modern/reliable/easily obtainable brake configuration?

BTW I already found a German retailer that sells M6 brake posts as replacements for 90's suspension forks 😃 should do the trick in case I end up needing them.