Old 09-26-22, 10:44 PM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Those brake braze-ons are lower than the rim or I'm a monkey's uncle. I'm 97.5% sure those are for canti brakes.
I'm 82% sure Mafacs (or any other modern brand of any nationality) will work, though you'll have to supply the 8 mm shaft, in the form of a bushing. Some precision is needed in cutting the bushing to length. It needs to be just a few thousandths longer than the brake bushing, for the brake to pivot freely without slop. This fit can be arrived at with no measuring equipment, by just grinding down the end of the bushing a little at a time between test-fits.

Mark B
Hi Mark, thanks for the suggestions! What material would you suggest for the bushing: brass, plastic?

I haven't measured the distance between the post mounts yet, but that should also be an indicator. Old cantis used to be located closer together than modern ones intended for wide tire mtb-s.

"These brakes configure as mid-arm on wide bosses but may also be used as wide-arm brakes on narrow spaced bosses" https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=144236

I read somewhere that people have in such a manner gotten the humble, ubiquitous Shimano Altus cantis to work with the narrower spacing, but if my budget allows, I would hope to find something more period-correct.

These NOS CLB's, for example, have some good features, but the finish is not one of them... it's just hideous

Last edited by Krov9; 09-26-22 at 10:48 PM.