Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10966 Post(s)
Liked 4,623 Times in 2,125 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I normally bring my lunch to work. Cheaper and easier to control calories. The days I don't, I usually go to a taqueria near downtown Brisbane (CA, not Oz). It's close, it's decent, it's fast. This morning, I didn't have time to make a sandwich, so come lunchtime I hop in the Challenger and zip over to the strip mall where the Taqueria is. They closed. By chance, the cashier (probably family) recognized me and said they lost their lease after 10 years.

I need to put in some time checking out the other nearby places, I guess. Or never miss making my lunch.

Losing their lease seems odd, given the restaurant next door them went out of business early in the Pandemic and has sat empty since.
We had a very nice small BP "travel center" locally with a great restaurant in the building that was always packed. Her lease ran out and was never renewed but the owner of the building let her operate for a couple years at the same rent. Then, an out of state group bought the building and immediately jacked her rent out of sight. her lawyers and theirs couldn't agree on a fair rent and they finally evicted her. It turned out that she had ownership of the equipment and after some legal wrangling, was allowed to remove it. Now, ten years later, the restaurant portion of the building remains vacant with 'for lease' signs on the windows.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-16-22 at 05:23 PM.