Old 09-27-22, 10:05 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I posted this in your other thread:

40/11 is pretty low top gear and those Gravel King SK 38mm tires will also be a bit draggy for long road rides. Also the 11-42 cassette has some pretty big jumps in gearing.
Both of those are relatively easy problems to solve so if you otherwise like the bike I'd say yes... it can definitely double as a road bike. Maybe just plan on getting some faster tires and a bigger 'ring and possibly a more close-range cassette. A second wheelset helps if you frequently want to swap between road and gravel. If your riding includes lots of long climbing and fast descending, finding a balance on the gearing may become problematic.

I frequently ride a 1x cyclocross bike on faster group road rides with 28mm road tires on carbon wheels. I've found that 44t 1x with an 11-32 gives me plenty of range for flat road riding, but acknowledge that this would be pretty limiting for climbing. It's very flat here so this is fine for me, I have no trouble keeping up with the "A Group" which is usually in the range of 22-25mph (35-40kph) on flat roads. I also am more spinny on cadence than most, so. YMMV.

I'd say if you like the bike then go for it.
Likes For msu2001la: