Old 09-19-21, 11:52 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Just be glad it's not fixed gear where you can't rotate the pedal out of the way.
Had a good laugh

I suppose it is OK with bike pros who change to such short wheel base when they arrive to a race or training start someplace on open roads. But if you have to leave from your house or a hotel, it may be an issue, even if you live in a small town. I just hope it will become a second nature in due time to be aware of this pitfall pretty well automatically.

I think most people with these bikes load it in a car and go to some place where they start their bike rides.
In my case, I start my rides from a backyard gate outside of which is some thirty feet of lawn to the road, which is going mild uphill at at right angle. Usually I mount the bike while still on the lawn and at the road I make right ninety degree turn to go uphill from there. That's the first sticking point. Next one comes some hundred feet later when this uphill road comes to a main road running at right angle. Here I turn right or left, depending what ride I choose that day. That's second sticking point. All of that is at low speed and because of uphill, you want to keep pedaling even in turns.

And during my ride circuits that are on small village/town secondary roads (I live in EU even if now I am still stuck in Canada due to virus craziness) sometimes I have to ride on a main road for a mile or so, before I can connect to another secondary road. Getting on this main road is at right angles and many times from stopping position (unless I can see there is no traffic there as I come to it). With bike like this one, I will not be able to take any even remote risk of crossing this main road in case I would fumble with my foot hitting the tire. But otherwise it will be plain sailing, the bike feels like a Ferrari which also has various shortcomings when it comes to driving roads.

Last edited by vane171; 09-19-21 at 11:58 AM.