Old 09-05-21, 10:38 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Also, without knowing your intended location for the hole, the severity of any potential stress riser cannot be known and will continue rampant speculation in this thread. So by all means, don't tell us.
In retrospect, I could have been clearer as to the where and why. A chief reason for wanting a threaded mount was to rotate the striker to a location that's easy to reach with my (short) thumb without taking a hand off the bars. For a while, I had this bell mounted to the quill, as that was the only place it could go without interfering with the brake cables. The striker pointed down and to the rear, so using the bell meant taking my left hand off the bars and fiddling around by the headset. When in a crowded field of riders on bumpy ground (with the potential need to brake), that meant I might not have a good chance to ring the bell as soon as if it were more convenient. I can always wait to shift gears or drink from a water bottle, but the window for using a bell for alerts is so brief that if I can't get to it right away, I might as well not have it.

The green circle is the spot I had in mind. It would be ahead of the hollow section for the stem bolt at minimum. Thinking about it some more, routing the front brake cable over the stem could free up more real estate on the extension if I were to go that route:

P.S. noobinsf 's picture got me thinking: there's no reason but aesthetics not to mount the bell at an angle to everything else. I'll try rotating my PDW bell way forward and see how I like it:
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-05-21 at 10:51 AM.