TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
2021 race stories

Figured I'd start this thread again, only this time three months later than last year (for obvious reasons). I know that waterrockets and some others (?) have already posted race results elsewhere.

Rosena Ranch P/1/2 Circuit Race (60 mi) - 28th / 53 starters, back of the main field. 25 DNF's so there was some attrition. My main goal was to finish with the main field and to get used to racing again after 13 months of no racing. Mission accomplished.

The course is 20 laps of a 3 mile out-and-back course with rolling hills and a strong wind coming from the south, so it was a bit selective. The breakaway group (riders 1-11 or 12) had all major teams represented to the racing in the field was pretty lame and surge-y. Justin (Williams) yelled at us once or twice for racing like Cat 3's, which I wouldn't disagree with.

Still, it was somewhat hard after each turnaround as riders would hammer it for a bit and gutter the field. People got dropped every lap for this reason. There were a few laps that were even hard in between, but not many (or me). I was quite sore/tired yesterday from the repeated Z6 efforts each lap, it was basically 40 sprints with some of them extending to a minute or two of hard hammering. Still, I started rotating and taking pulls mid way through the race once I realized that I belonged there and that I wasn't going to get dropped. I rode it at the back in he beginning which was a mistake, since I had to pass gassed/dropped riders after the turnarounds on a few occasions.

So overall I'm happy! I accomplished my goals and even had legs to spare at the end. I sort of regret not trying to sprint out of my group, even though it only would have been worth an ego boost to see my name right outside of the top 10 and in the top 3 of Cat 2's, although we were not scored separately. There was one 2 in the break group. We actually got lapped (on the final lap) at which point the commissaire neutralized our group and told us that we would finish behind the break group and on the same lap.