View Single Post
Old 06-22-22, 07:46 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
School me on Shimano hardware

[EDIT] For clarification, I'm referring both to NEW and OLDER generation components.

I have a small collection of road bikes with a variety of Shimano parts including Integra, Claris and Sora. But the problem is, I really don't know what that means. I went on Shimano's website and they don't really break it down particularly well, plus what they list is geared towards generating sales. I get that, but I want real world knowledge and experience. From what I've gleaned so far, Dura-Ace is top shelf. I get that Integra is somewhere in between and Sora and Tiagra are kind of entry level stuff. Beyond that, I really don't know what advantages/disadvantages there are to any particular components.

The only thing I have determined is that I definitely like the shifter that has the two levers "nested" (I don't know if that's the right term or not) like 105/Integra stuff. I have a couple of bikes with Claris (IIRC) and there's the one lever that's part of the brake lever, and then the other lever is really more like a knob that comes off the inside bracket by where the brake cable comes out. Not really a fan of that set up. I don't know. Maybe that's more of an age issue rather than model. But that's why I'm here asking the questions.

Take me to school.

Last edited by VegasJen; 06-23-22 at 12:05 PM.