SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I'm still new enough at this that I'm only now learning how different the generations of the same model can be. I would have had to have more knowledge to even know to ask a more specific question.
When I suggested starting with a more specific question, I did not mean to specifics regarding bicycle components or its nuances, which would require more knowledge. Rather, ask a more specific question about what you were hoping to accomplish with your bicycle, which surely you could have articulated with your work experience in "the" engineering field and mechanical aptitude. For example: "Is it possible to upgrade a [make] [model] bicycle to add more gears for climbing?" Others would ask you some clarification questions, e.g., re: its current setup and components, and respond accordingly, then you could have got somewhere with more useful information.

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Maybe one of the resident experts could make a little project of identifying and distinguishing various models and generations and we could get a sticky. I did actually look for just such a resource before I posted this thread.
Are you seriously suggesting one of the resident experts here to take on a "little project" to identify and distinguish, for example, the five most recent generations of Shimano drivetrains, 10 speed and above, for Claris, Sora, 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace? Why? Shimano has done it here:

[Claris] 100 PRODUCTS HISTORY | SHIMANO
[Sora] 100 PRODUCTS HISTORY | SHIMANO
[105] 100 PRODUCTS HISTORY | SHIMANO
[Ultegra] 100 PRODUCTS HISTORY - SHIMANO ULTEGRA | SHIMANO
[Dura-Ace] 100 PRODUCTS HISTORY - DURA-ACE | SHIMANO

Again, I reiterate my suggestion for you to ask one or more specific questions that would help you solve a particular problem or accomplish a particular goal, rather than asking for the collective knowledge base of everyone here and then expect to (be able to) pick and choose the relevant portions for whatever it is you want to do with that. In the meantime, here are some good technical resources.

Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information

Technical FAQ - VeloNews.com

BikeGremlin | Mostly harmless ™

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 06-25-22 at 05:38 PM. Reason: To add Bike Gremlin
Likes For SoSmellyAir: