View Single Post
Old 01-15-16, 10:10 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The 1890s pedals by Ramsey and Diebel have the cage below the pedal axle axis, so it's not quite the same, though I consider them to be the same basic concept. .However, there was a French pedal in the 1950s called the Sanasax (translates to without spindle)which placed the cage top in line with the pedal axle axis, just like the Hi-E and Shimano AX pedals.The concept was revived about 10 years with a clipless version called the SMp Side Mount pedal). What we would consider the pedal body is actually a cleat that clips onto a sealed cartridge bearing with axle! This makes the float plate completely independent of the cleat retention. I've never seen one in person but they are out there. It only goes to show that great ideas never die, though market acceptance can be problematic!
Well, I saw a set of those SMP pedals for sale at the last SF bike Expo/Swap meet. A complete set, looked to be lightly used, in their original box and instructions. IIRC the guy was selling them for 75 bucks....
The certainly were unusual and most likely rare to find in that condition, I thought of getting them........ but I just wasn't convinced they were such a good idea as IIRC, you pretty much have most the pedal always attached to your bike shoes (with a big chunk sticking out the crank sides of the shoes) when you are dismounted. It's hard enough to walk around with smaller LOOK plastic cleats under one's bike shoes, what more with that whole metal thing under them.....
If they weren't bought (Hardly anyone seem to be interested in them), they will most likely pop up again at the swap meet next year, then I might get another shot to consider buying them.....

Last edited by Chombi; 01-15-16 at 10:23 PM.