Old 03-10-16, 07:23 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Planning to build a mixte into a light travel bike

Ok. So I bought a Bianchi Astrale for my daughter some years back. A factory original right down to the wax paper/string covers on the seat springs. She's not into that bike preferring one she won a few years ago. She's happy, I'm happy. Except I still have a pretty nice old machine in the shed. It just needs a little updating for safety reasons (rims, cables and brakes) and adjustment.

I'm not a big guy. My wife and son are taller than I am. The Mixte fits me.

The other day I was in my shed and took a long look at that bike. The two top rails running from the handlebar to the rear axle would be a good platform for a touring bag. One which could hold quite a bit. Better, it would sit midship rather than fore or aft the frame. Plus, with two bars making the base for a carry bag, rather than the single top tube of a traditional womens' bicycle, it almost seems like the design was meant for mounting a touring style bag [there].

Is there something off with my line of thinking? The mixte frame seems like the right design to give extra touring carry capacity without adding weird balance issues.

Harv