View Single Post
Old 05-17-19, 01:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I've been a recreational rider, small town commuter for many years. I've never owned a helmet. I've never really rode in traffic or on a highway. I just bought a road bike and do intend to ride on highways, so I bought a helmet.

I searched Amazon and saw hundreds of brands I've never heard of, some very cheap, some super expensive. I googled brands and looked for articles, and didn't find many recommendations for any helmets under $100. Despite the fact that the cheaper helmets had good reviews and certifications.

I ended up buying a Lazer Blade. It had several great reviews and I believe an editors award from one of the cycling mags a couple years ago. It was on clearance at Sierra Trading post in my size for $29. Seems like a bargain. Any reason to think it might be unsafe? I know it's a couple year old model now, and I think it was replaced with the MIPS version of the same model. It arrived in the packaging, brand new and looking factory fresh.

Thanks!
I have a non-MIPS Blade and it's a fine helmet. I keep it as a backup because it's been replaced by a Z1, which is a little lighter and better vented. $29 for a Blade is a great price.