View Single Post
Old 05-17-19, 01:34 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I've been a recreational rider, small town commuter for many years. I've never owned a helmet. I've never really rode in traffic or on a highway. I just bought a road bike and do intend to ride on highways, so I bought a helmet.

I searched Amazon and saw hundreds of brands I've never heard of, some very cheap, some super expensive. I googled brands and looked for articles, and didn't find many recommendations for any helmets under $100. Despite the fact that the cheaper helmets had good reviews and certifications.

I ended up buying a Lazer Blade. It had several great reviews and I believe an editors award from one of the cycling mags a couple years ago. It was on clearance at Sierra Trading post in my size for $29. Seems like a bargain. Any reason to think it might be unsafe? I know it's a couple year old model now, and I think it was replaced with the MIPS version of the same model. It arrived in the packaging, brand new and looking factory fresh.

Thanks!
There is no reason to think your helmet is unsafe. I do have to wonder out loud though about reasonable expectations, given that there are helmets out there for ~$500.00. Apprehension and/or inexperience are bigger factors in a cyclists safety than the presence of a helmet on their head or its quality level. Lucky for me I was a very, very experienced cyclist long before there was such a thing as the Internet. By the time Bike Forums and all the safety concerns that get raised in an echo chamber reached present levels I was as safe as I was going to be. You, not so much. You will just have to trust me when I tell you that on the street, in traffic ... there is little a helmet can do for you. That other poster that was run over by a semi? Ignore that. You will NOT be run over by a semi and live. So don't. Don't get run over by a semi. Don't get run over by anything. It's easier than you think. Good luck.
Likes For Leisesturm: