View Single Post
Old 05-29-19, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
https://whotv.com/2019/05/24/caught-...ear-indianola/

Multiple eyewitnesses, but none helped or gave testimony (once again, no legal obligation to do so). It was a country road, so there was pretty much a 0% chance of CCTV footage capturing the incident. The cyclist's footage alone led to the driver being tracked down which, had a camera not been running, likely wouldn't have led to this positive result. Trying to read and memorize a license plate with that speed differential is difficult.

How do you know there were multiple witnesses or that none helped or gave testimony? He appears to have kept on riding, so I don't know what "give help" would mean in this context anyway, but more to the point, I can't tell from that video how many people would have actually perceived what happened. The oncoming cars would not see clearly the side of the car where the idiot is hanging out or the closeness of the swerve, and the vehicle immediately behind in the same lane is pretty far back and the driver maybe not that focused that far ahead or even able to appreciate the extent of the swerve if they were. I certainly can't tell from the video whether the witnesses, if any, actually came forward and talked to the police.

I agree that he likely wouldn't have been tracked down without the video but you really don't know that's because people were willfully ignoring the situation.