panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
No, apparently the primary person hung up on semantics is Wildwood , and not "too many" others.

One may say the same for high wheelers, or for bone shakers or for 3 or 4 speed pre-war bikes, or pre-war bikes in general, Schwinns, boom bikes, Italian bikes, French bikes, Japanese bikes, bikes with chain stay mounted brakes, Russian bikes, Croatian bikes, bikes with center pulls, Romanian bikes, bikes with toe clips, Indian bikes, English bikes, Harley Davidson bikes, constructeur bikes, single speed bikes, sport touring bikes, or klunkers, or Raleighs or Canadian bikes or Merkx bikes, bikes with cheap tires, or bikes with flat bars, or bikes made by other companies other than what they're branded with, or bikes with clipless pedals, or touring bikes or pretty bikes, bikes with long chainstays racing bikes or bikes with turkey wings, or aluminum bikes, or bikes with cantis, bikes with short chainstays, or bikes with bags, or ugly bikes, or bike with drop bars, or bikes with braze ons, or bikes with stem shifters or bike with reflectors or Takaras, or lugged bikes, or fillet brazed bikes, or bikes with racks or welded bikes or clean bikes, or bikes without bottle cages, or bikes with sidepulls or dirty bikes or... It's ******g nonsense. The premise of this forum is:

7/8/9/10 speed bikes get just as much traction as any other bikes- more than any high wheeler thread. But apparently, they're not drama princesses.

You can believe that, but in the meantime, that siphons those bikes away from people who would otherwise look at them. Either intentionally or unintentionally. I will tell you that I would NEVER gotten the hair up my ass to upgrade any of my bikes to 10 speed if not for the people here. I would NOT have gone looking specifically for upgraded bikes. I would not have my favorite bike.

Once again- this is is counter to the interests of a large population of the viewers and posters within this forum- as many, many people have "upgraded" their "vintage" bikes- hence the 'retro roadies.' By the removal of that thread by administrator and moderator staff, that means those bikes are NO LONGER WELCOME HERE. I'd venture to say the VAST majority of the regulars and visitors of this forum are not purists.
  • No more so than anything else- these bikes and those components are valued and inherently a part of of the C&V forum.
  • It clearly is- if a thread has to do with bikes with 7/8/9 speed drive trains- it is being moved to the "appropriate" forum. Meaning it is no longer here, and therefore no longer welcome here, thus no longer qualified to be in the C&V forum.
  • That is not what is happening-
  • The entire premise is... well... stupid. Indexing is a much better dividing line. And that would be about as stupid.
I think you’ve entirely misunderstood the larger point I was making, and perhaps I was unclear. I was not asking for this change, nor do I prefer the semantic choices made. The chosen point of division is clearly very subjective and means different things to different people. I indicated that if the need for this is so great, it might be worth a try. What can I say, I try to keep an open mind. And in the event it’s a foregone conclusion, I suggested ways to minimize restriction and disruption to the existing community. Your ire is misdirected— I’m not in charge here.

Last edited by panzerwagon; 06-06-21 at 12:30 AM.
Likes For panzerwagon: