View Single Post
Old 08-13-21, 11:39 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I'm not saying it's not modern. I'm saying that it doesn't have way wider gearing than existed in the 80s. At least not how it's set up in your photos, where it has a 53-39 crankset and a cassette that appears to be an 11-28 or maybe 11-30, for a total range of about 370%.

Your new drivetrain's 53-11 top-end is significantly higher than was practical to put on road bikes in the mid-80s, but substantially lower gears than your ~39-30 were also very possible. For instance, a lot of long-cage rear derailleurs could tolerate a 34-tooth big cog and could wrap 38-40 teeth. This meant, for instance, that you could pair a crankset of something like 52-42-34 with a 14-34 cluster and remain completely within spec, which would give a 371% gearing range with a 1:1 low gear.
You sir have a good eye! I had assumed it was 11-32 (remember, my first "modern bike") because that's what is spec'd on Fairdale's website, and it looks huge to me, but this bike is an individual build not a Fairdale complete and it actually has 11-28 like you guessed on the Specialized wheels it came with. I counted the teeth today, and I noticed on my ride yesterday, it was easier on the climbs but not what I was expecting, my Falcon is 39/24 and this is 39/28 currently so it's a difference, but not a major one. I definitely want to get a 30/32 out back. I'm looking for wheel sets to replace these, used or new, and either way I'll be changing the cassette.