View Single Post
Old 09-08-21, 05:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
The washing thing has been a big problem for some. Both the need to wash daily and the need for having them dry at the start of the day seem to be a prime requirement for many or even most. They cite issues with saddle sores and so on. Personally I have not found either to be a big deal and have not found that saddle sores resulted if I wore the same shorts a few days in a row or put them on damp in the morning.

I have gotten by with one pair of shorts on some long trips. Especially in that case I do find it key to get out of them as soon as I am off the bike for the day and into something that lets me air out. Running shorts with a light nylon breif work well for that in camp airing out.
I can only relate this to my experience of really preferring to wash my shorts every day, the saddle sore issue can occur and its just something I want to avoid.
I find washing them right away, getting as much water out by squeezing, let hang while doing shirt and socks, then squeeze lowest sections again, then use part of my towel to "roll and press" gets the most water out.
It's also so important to find the warmest and most open area for wind and sun to greatly reduce drying time. Bunched up overly wet clothes in the shade just won't dry quickly.
it's rare for my stuff not to be dry, but that's why a second pair of padded shorts is the way to go.

this is what works for me, everyone has to find what is ok for them to avoid having uncomfortable nether region issues that can be a real drag.
Likes For djb: