Old 10-14-21, 10:12 PM
dwsmartins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Multiple broken freehub bodies. Possible replacements?

I've got a recurrent problem with freehub bodies broken or seized. First of all, let me put the variables on the table: I'm definitely fat (134kg/295lb, down from 157kg/345lb), my neighborhood is filled with 15%+ climbs everywhere, I'm used to climb these hills on a daily basis and I carry groceries on my bike panniers (never more than 30kg/65lb).

Back in mid 2018 I installed a FH-RM30-8 which lasted about 11000km/7000mi until I managed to literally crack it's freehub body in mid-2020. I replaced it with a FH-M430 (contact seals on non-drive side and up in the Shimano lineup, so I thought it was an upgrade). It's freehub body locked up (the place where the pawls sit got distorted, like it was above it's design load or the metal was out of specifications) after 6 months during social distancing, when I rode less than 3000km/2000mi (quite a low mileage, in my opinion), so I bought another FH-M430 to caniballize it's freehub body, as a spare freehub body here in Brazil is hard to find and almost the same price as a complete freehub. Back then, I just considered it was a bad batch, as the parts are from the local Shimano distributor, so I really don't think they're fake.

Fast forward another six months until today: the current freehub body just locked up! That raises some questions:

* Is there anything wrong with the FH-M430?

* Am I wrong assuming it should be stronger than a (cheaper, without contact seals of any kind) FH-RM30-8 or a (about the same price, with external rubber seals) FH-RM70?

* On the other way around, am I wrong assuming a FH-M590 or FH-T610 should be stronger?

I'm not searching for less weigth, just longer durability. I only have these options around here, despite the M590 and T610 are imported from Germany by courier, this fact alone doubling it's cost relative to the other options. Could you tell me your personal experiences with these hubs or similar situations?