cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Crankbrothers offers their Stamp line of pedals in a small size, which is a 100x100 platform with very little additional spindle length:

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/stamp-1-small

Origin8 Vex pedals have a 98 mm wide platform, but a bit more spindle, so about 110 total width from the crank arm, but I think that's still less than your pedals which appear to be 110 + the bearing width between platform and crank arm.

https://www.modernbike.com/origin8-v...-pedals-orange
Thanks! I'll check them both out - I'm a bit partial to Crank Bros stuff anyway...

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
So, a deep, narrow trough, that's too narrow to pedal in without hitting the sides? I think going to a smaller pedal might find you hitting your shoes on the sides
​​​​​​It might just be too tight to ride through.
​​​​​​Depending on how long and steep it is, you could 'ratchet' to get through it: basically starting from 'ready position' you rock your leading pedal between 1- and 4-o'clock to kind of scoot the bike forward without making a full pedal stroke. I use it in rock gardens, root ladders, or water crossings, anywhere you don't want to get your pedals too low. The drawback is that you have to build enough momentum on each 'kick' to carry through the 'ratchet back' for the next one.
Depending... I do sometimes get a hit on the shoes, but being a bit higher than the pedal, the hit doesn't seem as hard...
The 'ratchet' idea is great ! I can think of 2 places where that might work. There's actually a hard/sharp 70ish deg turn on one spot, and a small step up - I use a 'ratchet' to do the step up - never thought t extend that to get further thru the trough... LOL! good idea! I'll give it a go.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
When I say the problem is you, are other people successfully riding this? Have you seen how? If so, they are doing it on average bikes with average pedals. Are they maybe riding one pedal down and tires riding up the other side of the trench? Is there a b-line or alternate trail you haven't found? Or is it a place where most people don't ride at all because it's primarily a foot or horse path?
Yes, also a footpath... but I see tire marks all the time... The only time I've encountered a rider on one spot, he was coming down (has a slight incline), but because the brush is tight alongside, you don;t really see ahead more than 15-20 ft. We almost did a head-on... LOL!
Other spots, I assume most riders are coming thru going downslope... I really haven't paid attention to what their bike gear is other than a quick assessment of DH/Enduro or old school crappage like mine... I try to avoid any trails/paths used by Equestrian... just too much contention builds... and I'm all for keeping the peace with other users...
I'm a very avid hiker also, so I avoid heavy use trails... and heavy use times.
So I go backcountry mostly... my friends have mostly stopped riding with me, cause I go where there's no cell signal.
And I avoid riding with much younger riders, they're usually above my head and certainly above my damage limit... LOL!

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Why not look at what other riders in your area are using. That would be far less expensive than trying a number of random pedals in hopes of finding something that works. If they can do it you can too.
As noted by me, above - I now find myself riding solo a lot... We've all gotten a bit 'older', friends are stayin more 'front side' (or ridin road) and I'm still enjoying back side (and lots of 'road'), again.
I'm actually gonna enjoy this tech experimentation... will be interesting to see what the outcomes are from trying different pedals. I'm big on 'Demo'... and since there really aren't any dem programs for pedals, I'll buy a small assortment, and have some fun. Nothing expensive, there are plenty of 'styles' available for quite reasonable prices. I've always learned a lot by trying out different gear... I'm an outdoor gear guy, but not frivolously so. The pedals I don't end up using - they'll find a home.
When I'm on trail, I almost never see another rider, unless they're blowing by me, or coming opposite direction. SO I don;t often see much 'technique' in action - except riders DH on trails I might be hiking. Havin a great time with youtube, though...
been riding bikes for 58+ yrs - it just never gets boring... and its the real world
Ride On
Yuri