View Single Post
Old 01-16-22, 06:54 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
From my experience Brooks do not break in. The break your ass and you get used to them. Then they start to sag. Eventually you realise they are crap.
Ha ha. That kind of mirrors my experience with them. I didn't mind mine much when new though. It was okay and as I got more used to it it was fine. From there it was down hill to terrible when the dimples formed. Nothing about it made it worth the extra weight, cost, or extra care for me. Others obviously find that they suit them much better.

I was young (it was 50 years ago) and abused it so perhaps now one would hold up better especially if it was one with stiffer thicker leather. The thing is why would I even bother trying? I love my synthetic saddles that cost less, weigh less, require no care, require no break in, and are comfortable on a multi month tour. Oh and if I were to break a rail on tour I can easily pick up another that is instantly ready for comfortable riding.

Some folks who have saddle issues with most saddles find satisfaction with a Brooks. I can generally get used to most saddles and the Brooks is nothing special and even maybe my least favorite of the saddles I have owned unless you count saddles on some pre 1970 and sub $100 bikes. So for some the Brooks is a god send, but I'll pass.