View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 09:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Of course there's one on each side!

Every mention I've made have them, and the manufacturer quote accompanying the picture has been pluaral - spacers.

​​​​​
The picture you posted has only a single spacer. Where is the other one?

I’m also having a problem understanding just how this spacer would work. If the bore is expanded because of installation…not something I concede is happening….the spacer would have to be thinner each time the crank is installed to allow the crank to move further up the spindle to take up that expansion. Are you saying that the expansion of the bore is predictable? In other words, if the bore is Xmm in diameter on the first installation, is it X mm + Ymm wider on the second installation? If this were true, the crank fit should get sloppy each time the crank is installed and removed until such time that the crank would be come unusable. And that should happen in fairly short order. A few installations and the crank should be discarded even if you changed the spacer.

If the bore expansion isn’t predictable, i.e. a random event, the spacer would need to be either trimmed to fit or would need to be available in thousands of sizes. Trying to decide which one of those thousands of spacers you’d need would be trial and error. And just installing the crank would require a different spacer.

If you want to do dueling pictures, here’s an exploded view of the SKF bottom bracket offered by Rene Herse Cycles

There are no spacers on the shaft in that picture. If you go to the website, there is a picture of the bottom bracket with no spacer on the spindle shaft.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!