Old 07-02-21, 08:41 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
What's the new norm? I'm getting back into cycling after a 5+ year hiatus. I used to ride skinny Vittoria Rubino slicks at 120psi back then. Just had my bike overhauled at the shop and they put Conti GP 4 Seasons on there 700X23.

They put Gatorskins on my wife's bike. My only knock on them is that they are VERY expensive for what is essentially their "beater" tire.
Debates about the definition of the new norm generates 10-page threads around here. In general a lot of people (BUT NOT EVERYONE DON'T COME AT ME) are finding that the widest tire they can fit in their frame at lower pressures is a much more pleasant ride and does not actually negatively affect average speed. High pressure tires just "feel" fast because you're feeling every bump and vibration in the road.

So I run 28mm tires at 70 psi on my road bike and I weigh 200 lbs right now. If I lost weight I'd run them at 60 or 65. If a person wants to experiment with lower pressure, I think a good rule of thumb is start at 80 psi and adjust from there.